Promega manufactures over 2000 reagents, specialized chemicals, enzymes, peptides, antibodies and nucleic acids for biological testing (assays).
IES designed the facility upgrades and manufacturing suites for Promega’s manufacturing operations in San Luis Obispo, California. In addition to production upgrades, the facility underwent significant safety and building improvements.
Promega Facility and Production Upgrades
Location: San Luis Obispo, California
Architect: GLP Architects
Project Duration: Design & Permit: 3 months Construction: 8 months
Project Valuation: $5,000,000 – $10,000,000
- 35,000 sq. ft. of mixed B-Occupancy office and analytical labs, and H-Occupancy Production laboratories.
- Redefined H2/H7-Occupancy Production Area laboratories and H3/H7-Occupancy Hazardous Materials Storage Areas. Redesigned obsolete production fume hoods into manufacturing suites.
- Designed new facility support systems, including:
- Fume exhaust systems
- Chilled & hot water systems
- DI Water system
- Waste Treatment systems
- Designed new toxic gas and flammable vapor
- Monitoring System
Established a team environment with local building and fire departments.
IES provided engineering solutions to mitigate complex code deficiencies.
Employed unprecedented design concept to mitigate Class-1, Div-2 NEC Classification for non-rated equipment.
Employed alternate methods of construction to mitigate explosion venting for H-Occupancy Laboratories.